The “Fruitful” KY 40 was launched from the boatyard of James N Millers of St Monans for John Deas of Cellardyke in 1955. She was one of the last of the hulls based on the traditional Fifie yawl and, at 30ft, quite a big creel boat for her time. Although built on the lines of a sailing boat, she was powered by a Kelvin J3, 33hp engine. She was an outdated vessel at the time of her build and John kept her for five years before replacing her with the “Fruitful II”, a larger, modern vessel more suited to the type of fishing being prosecuted from Pittenweem.
Fruitful at Cellardyke
“Fruitful” KY40 had a long fishing career being registered in seven different UK ports but always retaining her name. She had a wheelhouse fitted and went trawling for most of her working life before ending up in Shetland where she was purchased by Richard Wemyss. A storm broke her moorings in Scalloway and she was washed ashore but thankfully she was rescued by some locals. She was then transported by flatbed lorry to Anstruther, where she was restored to her original appearance by volunteers, trainees and staff of the Scottish Fisheries Museum.
In 2018 she was relaunched and that year won the Classic boat of the year award at the Anstruther Muster.
White Wing ME113
33-foot Baldie built in 1917 by James Cadger. This boat is part of the museum collection - you can find out about her history on the White Wing page.
Works done: rebuilding of some hull planks, rebuilding of the whole structure and planking of the deck, repairs on the hull and new caulking and paintwork.
See the timelapse video of the restoration process in our short film: